Alice in Wonderland and Ben Nye

I admired all the cast and crews behind Alice in Wonderland for a job well done, not with how the movie turned out, (since I haven't seen it yet ^-^) rather how they did on the makeup and the art production per se. The picture says a thousand words, impressive I must say! I can't keep my eyes off the posters, it tickles your fancy when you get to see those kind of works of art.. It's no joke to put makeups to achieve the characters of Alice and her childhood friends: the White Rabbit, Tweedledee and Tweedledum, the Dormouse, the Caterpilar, the Cheshire Cat, the Red Queen and of course the Mad Hatter. Kudos to the great contributions of the makeup artists! The movie won't be that exceptional without your craftsmanship.

When I saw the pictures of the artists, it reminded me of one of the greatest makeup artist I look up to - Ben Nye. He was a renowned makeup artist for the Hollywood film industry for over four decades, from the 1930s to the early 1980s. He worked for such films as Gone with the Wind (1939), The King and I (1956), Planet of the Apes (1968) and many more. Ben Nye has established a name in the makeup industry especially in theatre arts, film, television and print. Their wide array of makeup lines and are best appreciated in theatre and film because of the excellent quality of their makeups. Just look at the picture below how wonderful their product is.



Here are other pictures I got from the 2007 Ben Nye Catalog:







Also found these Alice in Wonderland inspired makeups from different makeup brands. Paul and Joe have them for a limited edition, while Urban Decay gave it a little adult-like look but still manage to keep it nice and cute.




Looking back on the makeup of the characters done in Alice in Wonderland movie, made me think that somehow the artists was inspired too by Ben Nye's contribution in the field of makeup artistry. That maybe some of the artists who did the makeup are the product of Ben Nye's mentoring and training. They are passionate on showing how good they are in their craft. It made me realized that maybe my admiration of Ben Nye's will reflect in my craft in time.